Hey Guys, I really think it is important to pick the photographer that's best for you. I know we are not a fit for everyone, but PLEASE do not let price dictate who you use. If you feel like someone else is better for you then don't use me. But if you love what we can offer you then please don't go somewhere else just because they're a couple hundred dollars cheaper - you will not be happy and it's not worth the savings.
Here's a great article I found from A&A Studio that I thought had some great points.
How to pick a wedding photographer – 10 top things to think about
Here are some things we believe you should consider when picking a photographer!
A few things to keep in mind: You will only get to make this important decision once, when the wedding is over there are only a few things you will have left (the ring, the dress, the wife/husband and the photography) The photography is there to remind you of all of your hard work, the intricate details you planned and the fond memories of the day.
Top 10 things to consider when hiring a wedding photographer.
1. Talk with them on the phone if you can and don’t just email them. With email it can be hard to understand tone and context. Get to know them, ask questions that get you closer to who they are and what makes them tick.
2. If you are in the same state make sure to meet with them. Make sure this person is someone you would like at your wedding. You may spend more time with them than family and friends on your wedding day. You want to be on the same page and click with them!
3. If you have a chance look at a full wedding. Don’t get fooled into looking just at one gallery of favorites. Make sure they are capable of creating what you expect at each and every wedding.
4. Make sure you like there style. Some photographers shoot every wedding the same hence a style emerges. Others shoot freestyle and create different looks for each client. Make sure you trust them enough to create something special for you. Another thing to think about is just because you like there style make sure it fits who you are. In other words it may look great for the last bride but not you.
5. Ask your photographer if they have a backup plan. Digital photographers rely on hard drives to archive your images. Anyone with a computer will know that computers frequently have problems. If they give you a blank stare or can’t explain what they do then you know they are unprepared. Your photographer should have your images backed up in multiple places and perhaps a copy off site. These things cost money so be prepared that photographers with good back up plans will cost more.
6. Does your wedding photographer have liability insurance. This is important because many venues will require they have insurance before they are able to provide services. It’s also good to be covered when accidents happen!
7. Ask about backup equipment. Again if you get a blank stare you know they are not prepared to shoot your wedding. They should have a at least 2 bodies for each photographer and multiple lenses and flashes. This sounds trivial but digital cameras do fail. We have had 2 cameras and two flashes stop working at a wedding before. If we were unprepared and only had two cameras we would be unable to take more photo’s. There are many photographers who do not have enough gear to shoot at weddings, so make sure to ask.
8. If they get sick what happens. If they can’t talk about it then they haven’t thought about it. The answer you want to here is that they are in professional organizations (ppa, wppi) or have other photographer friends who they have made a deal with. Make sure they will replace themselves with someone of a similar style and price point.
9. Pricing- make sure you understand what you are getting up front and their pricing practices are up front and understandable. Many photographers have introductory pricing that is back end loaded. They know that they can upsell you after the wedding.
10. Do a search on the internet to find out all you can about your photographers. Search items like there names, phone number, and business name. It is amazing what you what you can find out these days. You can find complaints, praises that they may not want you to find. The internet and information are on your side.
I hope that you got some great tips from this article and that it helped you.
Let me know if you have any questions or if we can help you.Daniel Yopp Better Tie Productions